Citrus and Phenergan

I have found two things that help me battle nausea and vomiting.

First, citrus.  Specifically, citrus flavored gum.  So long as I'm constantly chewing on this, the nausea is less pronounced, and I can get things done - most of the time.

Second, a new drug for me since the zophran wasn't really working - phenergan.  This really does curb the nausea and vomiting, taking about an hour to kick in.  However - you knew there was a however, right? - it makes me VERY, VERY sleepy. Like, "I can hardly function" sleepy.  Like, "I just want to cry because I can't get anything done" sleepy.

And as I sit typing this right now, that's how I feel.  I took one of these pills an hour ago and now I'm soooo tired!  But Beth is home today - daycare closed because of New Year's Eve.  I hate it that she knows something is wrong with mommy; she knows mommy can't play with her right now; and I hate it that I know the TV babysitter is going to have to take center stage today because I can hardly type let alone play. 

I'm gonna have to take a light nap while she's watching Bambi right now.

Why, oh why, can't this advanced society make a good nausea drug that doesn't make me sleepy?!  I think I'll discuss that with my doctor on Tuesday - my 10 weeks work-up appointment.

ps. Sorry, yet again, for another "complaint" post.  I know this will all pass and in July I'll have a beautiful blessing to show for it.  I just can't bring myself to praise God for feeling so yucky right now - later. I'll do that later.

5 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    You're grateful and we know that, but you are just exhausted from being nautious and vomiting all the time. Takes a toll on a girl! As for the phenegran, yep, its good stuff, but makes me go snoozie woozie! Keep up with chewing that gum...whatever works, right.

    I was in Walgreens getting some colace, TMI, but that continues to be my issue, and I thought of you when I looked up and saw bands to combat nausea. Hope you are feeling better very soon.

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel too badly about a day with the TV babysitter...I was practically raised by it, and I turned out pretty spiffy :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know you are grateful hon! Ad for the TV it is a necessary evil there are far worse things :) I hope your doc can help you so you aren't so sleepy! Much love to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was preggo I started asking who in the heck named it "morning sickness" b/c I was throwing up different times of day for
    4 1/2 months. My doctor had me eating and smelling peppermints..I bought some peppermint oil from health food store and it did seem to helps was working a 50+ hr week job at the time and was so miserable..making runs to puke then put on a fake happy face & return to working.

    And I can so relate to the phenergan part..I have migranes and when I get shots of the pain med nubain I have to get one of phenergan too. It feels like my insides slowly shut down til give up and sleep. When I take it I sleep for at least 9hrs straight.
    I will pray for you though b/c I know it gets old quick and becomes discouraging not knowing if/when you will feel "normal" again...
    As my daughter says if He can walk on moving water and bring a dead guy back to life taking care your nausea isn't even a challenge in His eyes!
    {tara}@ undeservingrace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit late, catching up on blog readings! When I was pregnant with River and had nausea, I had acupuncture done, which I had done in the past for migraines. I found it to be amazing! It worked for both of these ailments. Then with our rainbow baby, the nausea was much worse, and it wasn't until I went to acupuncture again that it subsided. It may not be for everyone, but it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete