Why is my job so stressful?

It's almost July! I mean, it will be July on Tuesday!! #whereismysummergoing

Now, I knew this was going to happen...

As soon as school got out, we went to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for a week of fun and relaxation with my sister's family.

This is where we stayed.
 I MISS YOU CABIN!!!!!
The next week, Beth began tutoring for reading and had a week of swimming lessons.

Her progress learning how to swim is amazing!
And the next week, we had a great time at our church's VBS.

I helped out with teaching the 4th/5th grade kidos. Do I look like a special agent of God?!
It was a great week!
And although I regret none of the aforementioned activities, I'm left wondering, "Why is summer going by so fast?!"

It's a stupid question given I just listed multiple things that would make my summer speed by, but really, the question isn't a question. It's a statement - a statement of dread.

At the end of the summer, I go back to a job I love!  However, it is a stressful job and hence the dread.

I got to thinking today, "Why is this job so stressful?"

Well, there are the obvious answers to that question; I'm a high school English teacher, so you can probably name a few dozen.  But lately when I ask myself that question - Why is this job so stressful? - I feel as if God is yelling back at me that the problem isn't the job; it's me.

I plan on using this last month of freedom to examine how I approach my job and how God wants me to approach it.

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.

I had a good friend and colleague say something to me in the last days of school this year that has really hit home a reality for me: I have not been working at my job as for the Lord. At least, I haven't been to the extent that I could be and should be.

So no wonder there are too many days I leave there stressed and unhappy!

If I'm working for the Lord, there is no stress in that!

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy-burdened, and I will give you rest!

In Him there is rest, and there is peace.

Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.

God is in control!  How could I ever be unhappy knowing that!?

Today's forget-me-not: Refocus all your energies on working for and trusting in Him. You can't go wrong!


No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment