It's time for some New Year's Resolutions!

It's that time of year again.  It is the time of year when we get introspective...

It's time for New Year's Resolutions!

In my life, I've gone back and forth with how I feel about the idea of New Year's Resolutions.  I used to not make them because I hardly ever followed through with them.  And I figured, why wait until the new year to make changes?  If I see something needs changing, I'll just take action and resolve to change it right then and there.

Now with that being said, I think it's okay to make resolutions on New Year's Eve if you feel lead to do so.  There is something about this time of year that demands we take a moment to reflect on what has been and what can be. 

And this year, I'm going to yield.  Join me?


Jamie's New Year's Resolutions 2015

1. Make time for morning devotionals and spiritual whitespace.

I have a bad habit of starting my day with a bowl of Cheerios and Facebook.  As I eat, I scroll through my news feed...wasting precious time I could be reading God's word.   I need to break that habit. I need more time with my Jesus. #always So, I'm hoping a new devotional book (Run For God Devotional) and wisdom I've found in Bonnie Gray's Spiritual Whitespace book will help me achieve this resolution. Suggestion: Make reading her book a 2015 resolution! You won't be disappointed!!!

2. Train to run a few 10Ks this year. 

I don't know why this is exactly, but I've recently had a desire to run some longer distance races - specifically 10Ks.  In order to prepare for this, I've read up on Jeff Galloway's run walk run method. I think this approach is something I can use to successfully achieve this goal.  I am very excited about this!  If you run 10Ks, send some tips my way!

3. Slow down and look for joy.

This resolution was inspired by my new morning devotional (already started ;-) and reinforced by my close friend and running buddy Jaimee.  Read these words by Melissa Weimer as printed in the Run For God Devotional book:
Knowing there will be a day when I get to cross that final finish line of life and hear those words I long for, "Well done, my good and faithful servant," I challenge myself daily to enjoy the moment. I have stopped looking ahead.  Now I enjoy what is right in front of me.  So as I take this challenge, I also put it out to you.  Are you missing out on the moment?  Step back, take a look, and then jump in that race that God has placed before you.  Begin enjoying the journey.
I read those words in my morning devotional and something in my heart yelled, "AMEN!"  Then later that night while having dinner with my girlfriend, she proclaimed that this also was a New Year's Resolution she had:  slow down. Can you say, "Spiritual confirmation?!"

Look for the joy in the journey.  Enjoy the race.  We could all stand to do more of this, right? Let's remind each other of this, okay?


As you look back on 2014, what are some things YOU would like to change?  Any behaviors that need adjustment? Any perspectives that need alteration?

Do you want to set any goals? Achieve something? What would make you feel better about YOU?

Now, resolve to make it happen! Make a plan - be as specific as possible. Ask God to bless it.  And begin!

Don't feel as if you are being selfish in your new endeavors.  God wants you to be your best you, and He wants to help you!  He wants you to have life and have it abundantly!  He came so that you might live!

Now, go make those resolutions!!!

Happy New Year!

Today's forget-me-nots:  Strive to be better and to do more.  Jesus loves you, and He gave you life - live it.

Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son...
John 10:10 I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment