Tortoise and the Hare, and Us

Better late than never!

It is a cliche, somewhat overused, but there's a tremendous amount of truth in that phrase.

Anyway, On September 3rd, I ran the Tortoise and the Hare 10K with my running bestie, Jaimee.


And then, I forgot to write about it.

Yes, yes. I know. Shame on me!!!

We've run this race before and enjoyed the fact that it was a 10K, a trail race, and an overall unique experience, so we signed up for it again this year.

Flashback to September 2015

I'm glad we did it again. It was long and the course was hard, but that's what makes running this race so rewarding.

Just like life, right?

Get ready for another cliche: the best things in life aren't free.

Truly though, it's after those hard times when you can look back in retrospect and say, "I came through that alright." Or even better, "I came through that a stronger individual."

Those are the best of times; those are the most fruitful and fulfilling of times. 

Sorry. I can't seem to help myself tonight.

I've been talking about this with my students lately. No. Not how to utilize cliches and formulate puns. We have been talking about how our identity can be shaped by our circumstances for better or for worse. The choice is really up to us. 

As Lou Holtz once said, "Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you react to it."

Like when you find yourself running a race you didn't train for, but you run it anyway, throwing every ounce of energy you have into it while striving to maintain a smile on your face. #likeaboss


It's just like when the tortoise ran against the hare. Yes, that timeless tale. No one expected the tortoise to win. He would surely be defeated. Deflated. Destroyed.

But he "ran" that race. The best he could. And then he won it.

Now, allow me to switch gears and change my tone to make an important connection: It's just like those who have suffered the loss of a child.

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month (October) is soon to be upon us, and this idea that our tragic circumstances can be used for good is truly exemplified in the lives of those parents who have lost a child and yet work tirelessly in that child's name to bring beauty from ashes.

If you haven't seen NBC's new hit show "This is Us," you need to see it. *Spoiler Alert!* In the very first episode, a father and mother lose one of their triplets, and the doctor, in an effort to comfort the grieving father, talks about when he and his wife lost their first child. He explains how it inspired him to become an obstetrician - with the hope of saving the lives of other babies. He admonishes the father to do this: to find a way to take the worst this life can give an individual and make it into the best.

I've put the clip below. Please watch it. Be inspired. And whatever life throws at you, just keep running even though it seems as if everything is working against you. If you do that, you can't lose. Just ask the tortoise.

Today's forget-me-not:




No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment