Hickory Flat Out 5K

Hello runners!

Long time no see. I've been out of the literal running scene ;-) since the end of June, and today, I got back to the business of racing. 

Labor Day is an American holiday that has grown to have different meanings for different people. For the runner, it signals the start to the fall racing season. Cooler temperatures in the mornings make for ideal running conditions, and that is one of the reasons I finally found the inspiration to get my butt back out to a 5K.

The Hickory Flat Out 5K is a race held every year on Labor Day to benefit a local summer camp.

I've had my eye on this event for some time now; this year, I got a chance to check it out. And I'm glad I did! The event was very well run, had a fairly flat course, and ended with a fun run and a few giveaways before awards. It's a great event for a worthy cause, and I highly recommend it to anyone in the area looking for a local run to start the fall season.

Because, I've not been running regularly - which I blame on the start to an already busy school year (#myexcuse) - my race time was pretty pathetic (36:00) in comparison to my usual 5K times. However, that race time will be good motivator to get out of bed in the mornings and rekindle my love for early treadmill runs. 

I knew my run time going into this race was not going to be pretty, so for that reason, my goal for the Hickory Flat Out 5K was simple: enjoy it.

Enjoy the beautiful cool weather and bright blue sky...


Enjoy the presence of friends...


Enjoy the run...
In the heavens, He has pitched a tent for the sun, which is like...a champion rejoicing to run his course. (Psalm 19:46-45)

Simply put, I just set out to enjoy running the course before me.

That is something we should all strive to do more. Just enjoy the course as you run.

Literally and metaphorically.

Happy Labor Day!

No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment