A Hot Chocolate 15K and Type 1 Diabetes

So, I ran a big race back on February 2nd. The Allstate Hot Chocolate 15K in Atlanta!

Yes, I ran this same race two years ago (#2018), but it's always a big deal to run this one because it's 15K. (That's 9.3 miles for those that need the translation.)

Me with my running buddies Jaimee and Kayla!

This year, I felt better when I crossed the finish line. In 2018, I crossed the finish line, ached all over, and swore to everything that was holy I would never run that distance again. In 2018, there were moments I doubted I would cross the finish line before they swept everyone off the race course. 

But this year was different for two reasons.

First, I had already trained beyond 9.3 miles because of my plans since August to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon this coming Sunday. And while the Hot Chocolate Atlanta race course always makes me ache all over because of its many hills, this time I wasn't cursing my decision to run this race or taking any oaths to never run it again. (Note to self and others: adequate training before a big run helps. #duh)

The second reason I think I was able to endure the pain that comes with 9.3 miles of tortuous hills and uneven, rocky Atlanta roads is because I knew this race was easy and would eventually come to an end - compared to the one my eight year old is now running with no finish line in sight.

On January 21st of this year, my Hannah, my youngest, my rainbow baby, was diagnosed with type one diabetes. For those that are not sure what this is or for those that think they know what it is but really don't (like me before 1/21), here is a pic to help educate you:


So while I was running this race, I just kept thinking about her. About her current, never ending race on an unforgiving course. I just kept thinking about how she is currently running it with such grace and optimism and grit.

So how could I do any less for 9.3 miles!?

So I put on a smile, and I ran the damn race.

Forgive the expletive, but my sister Lisa, and any Rachel Hollis fans, will understand why I worded it that way.



It's interesting. I didn't run it any faster than I did back in 2018. This year my time was 2:29:20, and in 2018 my time was 2:29:18. The difference was only two seconds. But it felt like a very different race. My increased training and my improved attitude created a huge contrast. 

Let that sink in a minute. The reality that I enjoyed the 2020 race more than the 2018 race is because I trained more and adopted a better perspective. 

I had done it before! And I resolved to do it again!! So I did!!!

Like Hannah does. Every day.

She runs this race - it's type one diabetes. It's blood glucose checks; it's insulin injections; it's highs and lows.

She does this daily, and we know she will win this race.

Because with Jesus, we have already won.

Romans 8:37-39  "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

1 Corinthians 15:57  "But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."



No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment