I don't know how you do it!

I get this a lot.

"Jamie, wow! I just don't know how you do it all!?"

And I smile politely and say, "Oh, thanks."  Cause, how am I supposed to respond to that?

Sometimes, I giggle and say, "Not well, but I try."

Recently this "I don't know how you do it all" clause was flung my way at a speech and debate tournament.  A fellow coach asked, "Didn't you just have a baby?!"  I told her yes - about 6 months ago. To which, she responded with the title of this blog post.   

Well, it got me thinking.  How do I do this?!  And if you've come here looking for the "How to do it all for dummies handbook", I'll just tell you now, I don't have it.  Really, most days it's simply survival.

I try to live by this (major emphasis on TRY)...  1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Some days, I'm better at this than others.  Right now, I feel like I'm going through a "just trying to keep my head above water" season.  I hate that, but it is my current reality. 

I get up between 4:30am - 5:30am - because that's when Hannah thinks it's time to start the day - even on the weekend :-(  Now, I used to get up at 5am or 5:30am before Hannah was ever in the picture to do my quiet time, so it's not THAT big of a deal, but 30 minutes of sleep IS a big deal to me these days.  Anyway, it's an early start to my day.  And even with getting up that early, I'm usually so out of it and dealing with Hannah that I don't get my devotional in.  These days it's a quick one via my phone and some singing and praying on the way to work, but it's not really the nice quiet time I used to have with my Lord.  I'm sure that's why I feel the way I do these days - sucked dry of all life.  Having a regular quality time with Jesus does WONDERS for person - if you don't have one, try it!
You'll see ;-)

Anyway, that's how my day starts.  Then I get ready for work, I get Beth ready for school, and we all head out the door.  I teach. High school.  Teenagers.  Need I say more?  I coach, speech and debate, and spend at least one weekend a month away from my family at a tournament.  And recently, I teach an after school course for teenagers trying to make up credit for English classes they'll need to graduate.

By the time I get home, get everyone fed and into the bed, I'm ready to sleep.  In fact, now is that time. 

I just needed to type this out though.  And see, I haven't really even answered the question.

I'm too tired to think anymore.  Maybe later I'll try again.  Until then, from one mommy to another, it's true - sleep when they sleep.

Out.


Oh, one more thing... I need to see this movie. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. You're one impressive mama - whether you know how you do it or not you DO IT :) all we can do is what we can do ;) As for the movie - I plan to watch it but it didn't get great reviews (just to warn ya)

    ReplyDelete