Godly decisions

In education, we talk about essential questions when teaching lessons.  "An essential question is – well, essential: important, vital, at the heart of the matter – the essence of the issue." - Big Ideas   Essential questions help us to remember the point of lessons, units, and/or assignments. 

You remember my previous post said I was contemplating some pretty big decisions?  Well, I found a sermon from one of my most favorite preachers - James MacDonald. This sermon was on how to make Godly decisions.  You can listen to it at One Place

Because I often use this blog to just work out my thoughts, I listened to the sermon and took notes here.  I'm not sure how I'm going to answer these below essential questions on making Godly decisions, but I am beginning to contemplate the answers to them.

I thought I'd post them here - just in case you are needing to make a decision any time soon ;-)

Essential questions for decisions:

What does God think about your decision?  Ask these questions to answer that question...

Spiritually
  • Will this bring glory to God? (1 Corinthians 10:23)  "Glory is the reflection of the reality of God's presence in the world..."
  • Is this a decision that Jesus would make? (1 Peter 2:21)  How did Jesus live His life?  Humble, obedient, blameless, servant, passionate, selflessness, willingness to suffer.
  • Will I be proud of this decision at the judgement seat of Christ? (Romans 14:10) Why are you REALLY doing this?  How will this impact my family, my worship, and my ministry?
Relationally
  • Would I want this done to me?  (Romans 13:8)  Love your neighbor as yourself. 
  • Could this appear wrong even though it is right? (1 Thessalonians 5:22) 
  • Will this cause a brother or sister to struggle spiritually? (Romans 14:13) 
Internally
  • Could this lead me into bondage? (1 Corinthians 6:12)
  • Can I do this with confidence that it is right?  (Romans 14:22)  Don't do anything until you are sure it is right for you to do!
  • Am I breaking any previous commitments?  (Ecclesiastes 3, Matthew 5:37)
Like I said, I have no idea how to answer these questions right - especially as they pertain to possibly looking for a new church home.  However, I'm working on it...

Hope to post again soon!

No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment