be a doer, not just a hearer

You may have noticed that I ended my last post with "Today's forget-me-not".  This is something new I want to do for 2013 and beyond.  Since I created this blog "to remember everything, everyone, and every day the Lord Jesus sends my way," I thought I'd end each post with that - that thing I've learned, or talking about the qualities of the person I just met, or, generally, with just something I don't want to forget.

Today, it was back to church after two Sundays off.  The Sunday before last was right before Christmas eve, and we just needed that day as a family to gear up for Christmas.  The previous Sunday there wasn't childcare available, so for us, that meant a day at home, for sure! 

Anyway, I was glad to get back to church.  The first Sunday of every month, Michael helps out in Beth's Sunday school class, and I help out in Hannah's.  We miss worship that Sunday which is a sacrifice we are very willing to make for those teachers who are with our kidos every Sunday without fail.  Then, it was off to Sunday school for Michael and I. 

I love our Sunday school teacher!  He has such a heart for the Lord!  It is very infectious :-)  We started a new study of the book of James, and I love this book.  It's all about living what you believe and not just paying lip service to it. 

Toward that end, I've committed to trying to do something for Easter and Halloween at our church.  I'm excited about this potential outreach to our community!  I'm almost 100% sure the reason we haven't done anything in the past few years regarding this is because they've needed someone to head it up, and I'm the girl who is gonna do that - if they'll let me!  LOL

Anyway, I just want to be more committed to outreach - to our community.  Please feel free to share below any cool church outreach ideas for Easter and Halloween. I'm thinking egg hunt and trunk-or-treat, but other ideas as well as modifications of these current ones would be greatly appreciated!

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
I want to look deeper into my faith and "continue in" - i.e. practice - it.  I want His blessings, and I know service bring the best ones.

Today's forget-me-not: Blessings come when you serve - when you are a doer of His word and not just a hearer. 

Get some blessings today!

1 comment:

  1. Our church did a trunk or treat with a pot luck before and it was tons of fun! Good luck and good for you doing so much. I hope your church appreciates you!

    ReplyDelete