Feelings

The below statement was in the status of a friend of mine on Facebook.  There was such truth in this and spoke to what I've been struggling with lately, so I had to write on it!

“Feelings are indicators, not dictators. They can indicate where your heart is in the moment, but that doesn't mean they have the right to dictate your behavior and boss you around. You are more than the sum total of your feelings and perfectly capable of that little gift . . . called self-control.” - Unglued

I've had a bad last couple of days.

Hannah has been a whiny mess!  Yesterday, she woke up at 4:30am and would not go back to sleep.  She doesn't usually do that - only when she is teething REALLY badly.  I'm sure that is what it was.  I rocked her, gave her Tylenol, and put her back down, but she was not going back to sleep.  So, she cried.  And cried.  Until 6:00am when I finally said, "Forget it!"  Well, something like that. ;-)

I don't function well without sleep.  At. ALL!  To compound her teething, we have successfully weened her off the pacifier, but she's mad about it.  We used the bye-bye binkie method which has you slowly mangle the pacifier in an effort to get them to associate displeasure instead of pleasure with sucking the paci.  Anyway, she hates her paci now, and she hates that she hates it.  At least, I think that's where a lot of the whine is coming from lately. That and the teeth.  Anyway, whine is like nails on a chalkboard for me.  I HATE  HATE it!  Just one of the many MANY reasons why me as a stay-at-home mom would never NEVER work.

Anyway, combine all that with my strong-willed, sassy Beth.  She can be so disrespectful.  Trying to break her of that is going to break me!  Another thing that is going to break me is trying to read with her.  Reading - beginning reading - takes time and effort.  Those are two things she doesn't give freely and with much ease.  Yesterday, we started to read an easy reader book, and 20 minutes, one page, two sentences later, I was ready to ring her little neck!  And trying to convince her to wear her glasses while she reads or does any work... I need help with that.

Anyway, all that said to say, I've felt pretty down in the dumps lately. Frustrated and tired. I'm only a week into the summer with them (my second week of summer), and I feel as if we should have accomplished more or gotten into more of a routine?  I don't know.  Maybe I'm too hard on myself. 

Money is kinda tight over here right now, and that makes me cranky too.  When I'm on summer break, I want to do do do.  However, I need to keep the bigger picture in mind and not spend everything we have and more so we can go to Disney next year.  I want a Disney vacation so bad...

Well, feelings. Emotions.

"They don't have the right to dictate your behavior and boss you around. You are more than the sum total of your feelings and perfectly capable of that little gift . . . called self-control."

Yes. Today, I boss me around and not my emotions.  Fickle things.

I got this.  I got you, summer!  Let's rock and roll!!!

Today's forget-me-not: Don't let feelings get you down and out.  Get up and do something!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great statement on feelings. I often let them control me. Thank you for sharing it. Sorry about the teething, pacifier and reading :( Sending you a big (((HUG))) Hope you have a nice weekend and thank you for stopping over. Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have a day or a couple of days that are really bad - I think you are probably too hard on yourself, as we moms tend to be. Hang in there, you still have all summer to 'accomplish' much more...but keep in mind, just being with your girls is accomplishment enough :-)

    ReplyDelete