Why Facebook?

I've been wanting to write a post about why Facebook is important to me.

I know some people avoid the site as if the devil himself is behind the whole invention, and I respect that - to a certain extent.  If you feel as if Facebook - or some other social networking site - just isn't good for you and yours then I totally support your decision to not partake of it.  However, on the flip side of that coin, I would expect that you would then respect MY decision to make Facebook - or one of its counterparts - an important part of MY life.

But you may ask, "How could a social networking site be an important part of your life?  Wouldn't the time you spend on Facebook be better spent elsewhere?"

Well, first, let me say this.  If time spent on social networking sites infringes on your time with God and/or your time with family, then you should ask yourself if being a part of Facebook or Twitter or whatever is something that is healthy for you.  If the answer is no, then, as I said, I totally support your decision to ban these things from your life. If you decide to keep things like Facebook as a part of your life, finding balance between time online and time spent on obviously more important things can be difficult.  Thankfully, for myself, I think I navigate this well enough.  I'm not perfect at it, but are any of us perfect at anything in this life?!

All that being said, I have found Facebook to be a very important tool in my life - one that, to me, is indispensable.

For example, when I woke up one morning and my car wouldn't start, I posted on Facebook that it looked as if I was going to miss my doctor's appointment that morning. Stupidly, I had left the inside light on in my car, and now I was going to miss a check-up with my OB-GYN (I was pregnant with Beth at the time). However, not two minutes later, a neighbor posted that she could come by and give my car a jump. A good Samaritan to the rescue!  Without Facebook, I would have missed that appointment.

I could relate so many stories to you about how Facebook has facilitated my life...

When I've needed to find a babysitter, Facebook was there to help.

When I've needed to know how to vote on an important issue in education, Facebook friends were there with the resources I needed to make an informed decision.

When I've needed prayers, my Facebook family always steps up to the plate!

When I've needed accountability for my fitness progress, my Facebook "family" was there. 

When I've needed advice, Facebook friends are always ready to respond!

When I've needed to vent, they have listened.

When I've felt compelled to get the word out about an issue that - in my humble opinion - was important to my community, I have very easily shared that with those connected to Facebook.

When I've needed validation - sometimes, admit it, we do need this - I have easy access to those who will cheer me on or have me reevaluate my choices. 

When I've needed a quick and easy way to send out invitations - because sometimes the paper (old school) invitations just take too much time for a busy working mom - Facebook was there to help me get the word out in no time at all!

And most recently, my Facebook friends were there to offer assistance in case of an emergency.  Not knowing if we could safely drive home in the winter weather that so quickly hit our area two days ago, friends on Facebook offered their homes to me and my family if we had to abandon our car in a failed effort to get home.

I could go on... and on... and on... relating other ways Facebook has played an important role in my life, but they all pretty much center on this one thing: community.

Facebook is quick access to my community of friends and family, and that access - to me - is invaluable.

So, I love Facebook.  If you want to be an active part of my community, you can find me there. 

Today's forget-me-not: friends and family

1 comment:

  1. I too have been on there more but it's been keeping me away from blogging so I'm going to try and make an effort to spend time with both again :) you can find me there if you want also! Nancy Haigh Reiber xo

    ReplyDelete