Why You Should Make Lots Of Plans

It's 2018, and I am excited about running. Last year, I lost a good bit of the passion I had for running. I just couldn't find any motivation to lace up my shoes. Not sure why, and it doesn't really matter at this point. It's time to focus on the now and the future, and the forthcoming days are filled with thrilling plans.

First, I'm kicking off the new year with a 15K. My very first long distance run! I've been training for this since before Christmas along side some of my favorite running buddies.


Upon close examination of the above pics, you will no doubt see a common denominator: my bestest running buddy Jaimee has been training with me. Every Saturday morning, without fail, no matter the weather, we rise to meet the pavement. This has been exactly what I've needed to get my running groove back.

The training plan has basically been to meet one morning a week, increasing our distance by a mile each week, and running .25 and then walking .25. It's working! We will have gone 8 miles before we run/walk the Atlanta Hot Chocolate 15K (9.3 miles).  We won't be the fastest, but I'm sure we won't be the slowest. And we will have finished a run longer than our typical 5K or occasional 10K. I'm so psyched!


Honestly, this is giving me the confidence I think I've needed to even consider tackling something of more significant length. Yes. I'm talking about possibly completing a half marathon.

I NEVER thought I would EVER even consider running something of that length. But now, I want to. I really want to!

So I've discovered, this is what is really fueling my passion to run regularly again: plans.

I have running plans, and I want to make even greater running plans. And those plans, they translate into purpose. They are inspiring me to keep moving. I'm no longer running to run; I'm running to accomplish bigger goals. To achieve grander ambitions. And to boldly run races I never thought I would run before (Star Trek pun - yes, I went there).

If there are any words of wisdom I have to end with, here they are... Make plans. Lots of plans. They make running - and living life - all the more worth it.


2 comments: