Running for Causes

Today, my good friend Jaimee ran a 5K for Muliple Myeloma Research in honor of her mom - a survivor of MM.  I was honored to run this with Jaimee and her dad. 

pre-race picture

 
See, this is one of the reasons I run.  There are many worthy causes out there that are in need of support, and I'm so glad that via running I can play a small part in furthering important efforts like those involving cancer research. 

The cause nearest and dearest to my heart is obviously pregnancy and infant loss awareness, and I always look forward to running in support of that every year.  However, when I can run in a race supporting a cause that is near and dear to a friend's heart, I jump at it.  I know how much it means when friends take the time to show they care - in whatever way - about something you hold dear.
 
So, I run because I love to support worthy causes.
 
 
 
I also have a selfish reason for running - I like my size 8 jeans. 

 
Well, the better translation of that motive is that I run for my health.  I don't want the reason I can't keep up with my kids when we play to be because I'm out of shape, and I don't want the reason I die at an early age to be because I'm overweight. And me, myself, and I have complete control over that.
 
I also run for my mental health.  It is apx. 34 minutes where Jamie is taking care of Jamie.  It's also time where I converse with my Jesus and "take inventory" of my life.  Everyone needs time to do that, and my runs give me that time.
 
It was a cold day today, but it was a good day.  Whenever I run in the cold, my race time is a bit on the slow side - 34:58 - but I'm happy with it. We all ran well, and Jaimee's dad won first place for his age group!
 
Today's forget-me-not: It's simple.  Eat well. Exercise often. 
 
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment