The Atlanta Women's 5K

April 14th, I got to run the largest 5K in the Southeast: The Atlanta Women's 5K.

Although I was bummed that none of my regular running chicas could experience this with me, I was excited to be running in this event. I had heard a lot about it, and the race certainly did live up to all the hype.

The atmosphere was electric with female pheromones! Music, set to a perfect tempo to excite runners, greeted me upon arrival, and after checking in and getting my bib, there were vendors to enjoy, tempting me to shop.

Before the race got started, we were given an opportunity to participate in a group stretch, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then, runners were told to move to their race corrals.


Do you see the purple flowers on the race banner in the above pic? These emblems were everywhere. The medals were shaped like this flower, and I couldn't help thinking they looked a lot like purple forget-me-nots.


Now, if you have read my blog in between 2010 and 2016, you know that it used to be titled Forget-me-not, Oh Lord! And you know why those flowers are special to me. Whenever I see them, or anything that reminds me of them, I think about the baby I lost back in August of 2010, our Angel.

Waiting for the race to start, I thought about the day of my miscarriage, and looking around at the hundreds of women that surrounded me that day, I thought of the reality that 1 in 4 women will experience a miscarriage in their lifetime. I wondered which of these ladies had at one point shared in the pain I had experienced eight years ago.

And then the race started. And I ran. And thoughts of Angel ran with me, thoughts of all that I had done since then to honor her memory, thoughts of the races run for her

And I was happy. 

To think of her now, makes me smile. Back then, to think of her would bring unimaginable sadness. But it is somewhat true what they say, "Time heals all wounds." So now when I think of her, I smile. I'm grateful to have carried her the few weeks I did. I'm a better person for having had her in my life.

So I ran. Happy. Determined to remain happy. And it was a good race.

Finished in 36:07
After finishing, I got a medal, my shirt, and a flower! We were showered with gifts!!


I had a great time enjoying me and remembering Angel. This race is a keeper, for sure! 


No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment